MILITARISM defined in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
1) predominance of the military class or its ideals, and,
2) a policy of aggressive military preparedness
"Predominance of Military Class or its Ideals" and "aggressive military preparedness." What does that mean?
A few examples:
- America has the biggest, fastest and most powerful _____. You name it - if it floats, flies, shoots or explodes - we have the biggest.
- Military recruiters have the right to recruit 15 year old high school students on campus. If access is denied the school loses federal money.
- America maintains and operates more than 700 military bases around the world.
FEAR IS THE MAJOR FUEL OF MILITARISM.
The FEAR of cultures and religions we don't understand.
The FEAR of governments different from our own.
The FEAR of being attacked.
MILITARISM is sneaky. It appears in our civilian world in ways that seem innocent or necessary.
- Civilian police have armored tanks, automatic weapons, and aircraft with infrared devices.
- Air shows regular feature military jets displaying their impressive power.
- Fallen American soldiers are treated with more respect and dignity than returning wounded soldiers. [This has been the case in the aftermath of every war involving U.S. troops]